2014 CHIditarod Grant Winners Announced!
On October 1, 2014, the CHIditarod Foundation delivered some incredible news to seven Chicago-area 501(c)3 organizations that are directly working to fight hunger, impact local food sustainability, and empower individuals and communities through food education. After reviewing applications from nearly 30 wonderful organizations via our 2014 Grant Program, the following were selected as 2014 ChIditarod Foundation Grant recipients for their programs and services that help alleviate hunger and/or food insecurity:
- Centro Sin Fronteras - $1,500 for their Youth Health Service Core (YHSC) program.
- Carlson Community Services - $2,500 for their Three Brothers Garden’s Project Homegrown.
- The Cooperation Operation - $2,500 for their HugelBowl project.
- Purple Asparagus - $3,500 for their Delicious Nutritious Adventures (DNA) program.
- Angelic Organics Learning Center - $5,000 for their Eat to Live Urban Farm and Garden Project (E2L).
- Garfield Park Community Council - $5,000 for their Garfield Park Garden Network.
- Peterson Garden Project - $5,000 for their Grow2Give program.
The CHIditarod Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that coordinates fundraising and awards grants from proceeds raised through the CHIditarod and CHIditarod-related events. This year, 1,100 costumed racers trekked their way through West Town, Bucktown, and Wicker Park despite the snow and freezing temperatures and raised more than 21,000 pounds of food for the Greater Chicago Food Depository and more than $40,000 for the CHIditarod Foundation and Greater Chicago Food Depository.
The CHIditarod takes place on the first Saturday of March and will be celebrating its 10th year on March 7, 2015.
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
WBEZ (Chicago Public Radio) reports that the number of residents in need of food reflects high poverty numbers for 2012. Chicago’s food pantries see the city’s growing hunger problem up close. “You see people lining up before the sun rises even on these coldest days of the year, and waiting, you know, in some cases…
CHIditarod VIII. March 2, 2013 Making the epic “epic” for the past 7 years, now entering its 8th year. CHIditarod (ʃai*dit’*ə*rɒd): n.) the annual Chicago-based phenomenon that combines elements of the Alaskan Iditarod® with Chicago’s finest brand of debaucherous social activism. Part food drive, part race, part beauty pageant, part bar crawl. A spectacle like…
Come and get it! click Lincoln to Teleport to Merch Shop
…pardon our dust as we gut n’ rework our website. Our greatest thanks goes out to Symbiotic Creative for partnering with us to achieve this milestone. If you find any bugs please send ‘em to us!