Everyone enjoys good competition. At the Chiditarod, that includes sabotaging other teams! But, there are rules…follow them to avoid being DISQUALIFIED.
- Creative, non-destructive uses of sabotage are tolerated (and actually encouraged by some).
- There might even be a prize for the best sabotage. Past winners of this coveted prize and fully sanctioned as deserving of a BEST SABOTAGE award include: Heads Will Roll – for antiquing everyone by throwing baby powder in their faces, Area 3 All-Stars AKA The Lady Gaga’s – handed out “skip this checkpoint” certificates that many teams feel prey to, CJ Ownz – screwed wooden ‘traffic boots’ onto wheels of unattended teams carts to prevent them from moving.
- Be prepared to give and receive, racers! You might become a victim even if you don’t plan to sabotage anyone else.
- Sabotage starts ONLY after the starting gun.
- Sabotage starts after you are outside of the starting line and can continue until you cross the finish line. After that, NO SABOTAGE is allowed. Go inside and get a drink, already!
- DO NOT endanger each other.
- DO NOT endanger anyone.
- Don’t do anything illegal.
- Don’t do anything permanent. Like cutting another team’s cart in half or removing lots of cart wheels.
- U-LOCKS are BAD. They create bad situations that Coreganizers then have to deal with. Please, PLEASE do not use u-locks in sabotage.
- You will be disqualified this year. Simple as that. It will be humiliating.
- Bike Marshals will be on the lookout for you and your dirty, dirty tricks. Sabotaging a bike marshal = disqualification
- Teams must do their own dirty work. Only the 5 racers on each team are allowed to sabotage – no outside goombahs. Don’t be a coward!
- No throwing of eggs or other food.
- Get Creative!!
- Keep it fun.
- NOTE: judges have the final say and their calls stand regardless of these rules.