An Art Cart is a unique creation that is radically stunning and heavily modified from it’s original cart form, (usually) permanently. Art carts embody the creative spirit of their creators and the CHIditarod, and stretch the limits of cart-based art in dynamic, engaging, and safe ways.
Art Carts were introduced to CHIditarod in 2010. Racing as an “Art Cart” is a more “free form” category for those teams wanting to stretch their creative muscles outside the parameters of racing. Some examples would be really big wheels, grill/food carts that don’t want to run everywhere, a multi-franken-cart mechanical extravaganza, etc. There are some differences between what’s allowed for Art Carts and regular shopping carts in the CHIditarod, so be sure to read these rules in full before deciding if your team wants to do an Art Cart.
The following rules apply ONLY TO ART CARTS:
- Carts must be LARGER than a standard doorway, which is between 34-36 inches. (e.g. your cart build must be larger than 36 inches in diameter.)
- Art Carts can use non-standard wheels and different sized carts.
- Dawgs do not have to be attached to the art cart. They can be walking beside the cart without a leash.
- Art Carts can have mechanical aspects, but can not have mechanical propulsion.
- Are assigned to only three out of five checkpoints
- You cannot win any awards based on race time, finishing position, or sabotage. However, you can awards based on fundraising, food totals, people’s choice and there is a special award for Best Art Cart.
- You cannot sabotage. Period. Unless you like disqualification.
- Admission into this category is not automatic and requires our approval on your design. This step is handled in our registration software. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with all questions.
- If your entry for an Art Cart is denied, you can re-apply or race traditionally. Remember, registration is first-fully-completed, first-served.
- To save our sanity, we will stop processing Art Cart registrations EARLY
- As part of “One Team = One Cart, Five Racers” rule for this year, you must register as follows:
- Each physical Cart in your Art Cart Team has five Racers attached to it. If you have more than five Racers participating with your team, you must register additional carts for every five Racers. You must register and pay in multiples of five Racers per cart, one cart per team.
- Each physical Cart in your Art Cart Team must be registered and paid for separately, including cart deposit
- Each physical Cart in your Art Cart Team is responsible for bringing 69lbs of food
You have 2 Carts and 10 Racers: Two Cart registrations, 5 Racers each, 138lbs of food
You have 3 Carts and 15 Racers: Three Cart registrations, 5 Racers each, 207lbs of food
You have 4 Carts and 20 Racers: Four Cart registrations, 5 Racers each, 276lbs of food
But what if you have 2 Teams, 2 Carts and 12 Racers? Either find three more Racers for a third Team, or drop two Racers.
The rules are “One Team = One Cart, Five Racers”… Racers must always be in denominations of five.
- You must register your Team names sequentially.
You cannot name the three Teams that make up your Art Cart “Kirk”, “Spock”, and “McCoy”.
You must name them “Khaaaan! 1”, “Khaaaan! 2”, and “Khaaaan! 3”.
- For any questions about these rules, please contact email@example.com.
Check out the pictures below for some incredible examples.