While a few urban shopping cart races existed before CHIditarod began in 2006, it was Chicago that pioneered the philanthropic aspects of such an event. First, we created a food drive (raising more than 252,419 pounds to date), then added fundraising, created our own 501(c)(3), and finally began an annual grant program to fund local non-profits fighting to end hunger. Our program has one cycle a year, opening in early summer and closing in late fall.
What Have We Granted?
We are particularly interested in organizations whose mission is related to alleviating hunger, addressing food insecurity, and/or improving the lives of the public through education, food or hunger relief in the metropolitan Chicago area. Smaller, community-led organizations are especially encouraged to apply.
- Operates programs focusing on:
- Innovative educational opportunities
- Building partnerships with other organizations and policy-relevant leaders engaged in local issues
- Health nutrition or creative work on some aspect of food
- Innovation to address challenges to food access and availability
- Is recognized by the IRS as 501(c)(3) organization, or has a written agreement of fiscal sponsorship from a 501(c)(3) organization
- Operates in the metropolitan Chicagoland area
- Is in good standing with the Illinois Secretary of State
- Is registered with the Illinois Attorney General
2022 Grant Timeline
- May 15, 2022 – Grant Program Opens for Application
- June 15, 2022 – Letters of Intent due. First round evaluation of responses begins
- July 01, 2022 – Round 2 Finalists notified
- August 15 – Final Grant proposals due
- September 10th – Grant Review Day
Click here to submit a Letter of Intent for the 2022 CHIditarod Grant Program
(DEADLINE EXTENDED THROUGH JUNE 27, 2022)
The CHIditarod Foundation grant recipients must agree to (1) provide a narrative report on or before May 1, approximately 7 months after the awards are granted, and (2) provide joint press release and promotion regarding your organization’s receipt of funding from the CHIditarod Foundation.
Address all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for grant-related news.