Please join the CHIditarod VOLUNTEER BRIGADE OF AWESOME. CHIditarod is for the people, by the people! Volunteers make this event happen! Here’s your chance to volunteer with the most capable event producers in the known universe.
Volunteer Registration Dates:
OPENS – January 15, 2023
CLOSES – February 24, 2023
CHIditarod XVIII Volunteers Needed!
We have a new platform for signing up to volunteer for CHIditarod XVIII, create an account on Volunteeripate and then select the team you want to join – thank you in advance!!!
Over 200 people needed in a variety of roles!
Planning & Production your jam? We need ninjas!
Help us year round to support The CHIditarod Foundation!
We need over 200 solid volunteers to make CHIditarod a reality. There are a variety of volunteers jobs that are waiting to be rocked by the willing and eager super-Chiditafabulous. Join us. It’s fun, especially if you can remember it. Promise.
All volunteers must be 21 or over.
The CORE is the heart of the CHIditarod annual event. They put in the blood, sweat and snacks at each meeting to make sure everything is in place to bring the MAGIC that is the first weekend of March, check out our Coreganizer Team.
This group is responsible for the production of the annual CHIditarod Event and primarily meets November through March with meetings every about other Sunday (in person or virtual). Typical Sunday meetings run from 11 am to 2 pm. We do not require attendance at all meetings but being at a bulk of them is expected, plus we have snacks and sometimes soup.
The skills we are looking for include:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to work successfully in a team environment
- Strong group facilitation skills
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from media, and the general public
- Outstanding writing skills with ability to correspond with a broad audience in newsletter, blog posts, and social media
- Ability to place orders for bulk items at best pricing
- Ability to solicit donations
- Strategic, visionary thinking
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables as CHIditarod is always evolving
- Own and execute tasks at a functional level with little supervision
- Proficiency with WordPress, and Ruby on Rails and HTML
- Event production, including securing venues, safety, and running day of events.
If you have experience planning and producing large events, we would love some more Coregies on board to keep CHIditarod rolling year to year.
The CHIditarod Foundation is a 501c3 non-profit dedicated to provide funding for organizations working to alleviate food insecurity. A board member is a year round position that meets virtually every month. Time commitment to the Board is based on the role/position that you take on within the Board. Being a racer in the annual event is completely allowed if you are a board member.
Learn how you can help fulfill our mission:
About the CHIditarod Foundation
We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Chicago, IL. Our work aims to provide Chicago residents with an outlet for artistic self-expression, impetus to build new social connections, and reliable channels for funneling their human, cultural, and financial resources towards the alleviation of food insecurity in our neighborhoods.
What we do
The CHIditarod Foundation operates two major programs. The first and oldest is the annual CHIditarod, a costumed shopping cart race that takes participants through the Wicker Park, Bucktown, and Ukrainian Village neighborhoods to raise food and funds against hunger in the greater Chicagoland area. This event raises thousands of pounds of food and tens of thousands of dollars annually.
Second, the CHIditarod runs an annual grant program, which provides local community organizations with the funding they need to tackle hunger and food insecurity directly. These funds are directed towards agencies who are seeding new programs, funding existing time-tested programs; developing innovative responses to hunger or food insecurity; or are working to fill the gaps in our current welfare services and social safety nets.
- To be thoughtful and responsible stewards of the financial resources trusted to us by our donors.
- To critically reflect on the impact that the CHIditarod Foundation can have, on the impact the CHIditarod Foundation has currently, and what role the organization is best suited for in the fight against food insecurity in and around Chicago.
- To make final decisions on policies related to the CHIditarod mission, programs, finances, personnel, and public relations.
- To provide leadership and expertise to the rest of the board as well as the CHIditarod core event organizers throughout the year.
- To act as an informal (and occasionally formal) ambassador and spokesperson for the organization.
- To participate in CHIditarod programming and fundraising throughout the year.
- To strive to maintain a mutually respectful and inclusive environment in all CHIditarod-related activities.
- To maintain the confidentiality of our donors, applicants, grantees, volunteers and other participants in CHIditarod programming.
What skills are we looking for?
- Event planning
- Project management
- Volunteer management
- Press relations / Social Media experience
- Working with municipalities and/or elected officials
- Press relations
- Donor relations
- Non-profit work
- Social justice work
- Legal experience
- A desire to learn
The board of the CHIditarod Foundation holds monthly meetings for which all members must be present, either in person or via telecommunication.
The workload fluctuates during the year, typically peaking in winter as we prepare for the annual CHIditarod race and in the late summer when our grant program is underway.
Different board members focus their attention of different events throughout the year, according to their interests and availability. Your mileage may vary.
The CHIditarod Foundation offers no financial or material compensation to its board members.
Do you have Directors & Officers insurance?
For those with the skills to keep us on mission, we would love to have you on our board of directors.