A great place to watch the race is near the starting line. The race will begin at the corner of Wollcot and Hubbard (map) at 12:30 pm. Feel free to come on by to congratulate all the participants on their lack of taste as they cross the starting line. Cheer on your favorite dawgs (please leave your real pets at home) and mushers as they make their way towards the first checkpoint. Be there by 12 noon or you’ll miss the starting horn. And in case you were wondering – YES, the starting line is EPIC.
New for 2014 – We are announcing the checkpoints early so your friends can gather at their favorite checkpoint to cheer you on. Teams will not know which bars they are going to on their route till the morning of the race. Teams go to 5 bars and the finish line. Don’t forget to ask them to bring food for the food drive!
- Club Foot: 1824 W Augusta Ave
- Five Star: 1424 W Chicago Ave
- Phyllis’s Musical Inn: 1800 W Division St
- Roots Pizza: 1924 W Chicago Ave
- Nicks’ Beer Garden: 1516 N. Milwaukee
- Emporium Barcade: 1366 N. Milwaukee
- Club Lucky: 1824 W Wabansia Ave
- Lotties: 1925 W Cortland St
- Bucktown Pub: 1658 W Cortland St
Here’s a Printable Map!
Food Drive Participation
Remember that the Chiditarod is a massive Food Drive! Please support the cause by bringing food to the checkpoints and for giving to racers at the starting line. The following are strongly preferred and provide greater nutritional value to the hungry:
- Beans, Canned Fruit, Canned Vegetables, Cereal, Chili, Jelly, Macaroni and Cheese, Pasta, Pasta Sauce, Peanut Butter, Rice, Shelf-Stable Milk, Soup, Stew, Tuna
- Respect the neighborhoods CHIditarod visits – take your trash home with you, don’t trample people’s flowerbeds, etc.
- Follow posted signs and all laws.
- Stay out of the streets. Period. We mean it. You will be herded. Love you!
- Feel free to record the amazingness. Bring nice high-definition photo and video cameras. Upload and link to our Facebook Page, Flickr, etc. Use the tag “@chiditarod” on twitter.
- Fundraise for charity!
- You are not allowed to participate in sabotage.
The 2014 finish line is hosted by our friends at Dolphin Lounge. Get there by around 2:30 pm if you want to catch the first teams as they cross the finish line in all of their glory, pain, and exhaustion. Awards ceremony is around 5:30-6:00 pm, depending on the pressure in the room and how fast we can tally prizes.
DISCLAIMER – This information may change before race day.